Wednesday, October 19, 2005

BIG DAY


Well, I just got home from a morning to night kind of day. I started off this morning with an informational meeting over at Lions Gate to learn more about their family division. The agent that I work for knows that I am interested in developing children's films, so he has begun to suggest people for me to meet and then has been setting these meetings up. I spoke w/ a lady today for about 35 minutes to find out how she became involved in development at Lions Gate, what the company is looking for in terms of product, and how I might be able to walk down a similar road. One of their first theatrical pictures that will be coming out in the next couple of years is Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, a great kid's book by the author of Shrek, William Steig.
Having this meeting was insightful, but it was also a time to meet someone else in the industry that I might now be able to contact in the future when I have a project to pitch.
After that, I met up w/ a friend at the 101 Coffee Shop, this cool retro little joint about 5 minutes from my work. We've been trying to get together for a couple of months after meeting this summer during Act One. He is a writer, and I will be reading some of his work to consider taking him to the agent I work for, as well as for a couple of other projects I'm working on at the moment. We will see.
I then went to work till 7pm, when I then went to Act One for another meeting regarding the Glenville Short Film program, which is an opportunity for people in the Act One community to be a part of two short films that will be made w/ a budget of $45K a piece. People can apply to write, direct, produce, etc. I am still trying to figure out what type of involvement I should have. The agents think I should apply to direct, as that is the person short films tend to help the most. I am considering some of my own ideas, as well looking for other scripts I might bring to the table to produce.
I am now going to wind down and read (Harry Potter- sorry for those who think this is evil!) and prepare for yet another long day. Tomorrow, I am going to a couple of screenings for the agents to look for potential clients. I'm going w/ my friend John Bell who was my roommate during the summer while I was in the program.

5 comments:

LukeMiller said...

so glad the blog is active again. e-mail me and i'll give you the e-mail address of a guy out there you should talk to.

Keymaster said...

Hey John! So glad you're having a great time in California! I wanted to remind you that my sister, Meg and her husband, Murray live in the L.A. area. (I think you and Courtney worked on one of their art projects at UNT). You should look them up (for churches, art, theatre, friends or whatever) and check out this cool art walk they'll be in.
http://www.breweryartwalk.com/index.html
-sara

j-lay said...

sounds like all is well with you. that is awesome. btw, if you want your mini vhs thing you know how to find me.

Shannon said...

way to go john! sounds like you're living the dream.

lara and i will be out in san diego later this month so we should get together.

Anonymous said...

watched "white american jesus" again the other night. it still holds. good stuff.